background

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Grandma Cooper's Tomato Macaroni Soup

It was pretty cold on Sunday.  The wind was blowing, the rain falling, and then it turned to snow.  As much as I'm ready to break out the grill, it was another soup day.  This soup was really easy and perfect for the stormy day.  It came from a church cookbook that was put together recently.  I happen to know and love Grandma (Arlene) Cooper so that made this soup even more enjoyable.  I will definitely make this again and again and again . . .
What you need:                                                            

1 42 oz bottle tomato juice                                                            
1 pound hamburger                                                                          
1 onion (I used red but you can use any kind)                                 
1/2 teaspoon chili powder                                                                   
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 white and 1/4 brown sugar)                                                                                 
3/4 bag elbow macaroni                                                                 
1 teaspoon cumin                                                                                
1/4 teaspoon curry powder                                                           

5 stalks celery, diced
1/2 bag frozen corn (not part of the original recipe)
I added this and used  frozen super sweet white corn.
2 cans chicken broth


 1. Brown hamburger with chopped onion (I seasoned w/ salt & pepper)
2. Boil water and cook elbow macaroni, al dente in salted water 
3. In large soup pot combine tomato juice, chicken broth, hamburger,corn, and diced celery.
4. Add sugar,chili powder, cumin,  and curry powder. Stir well.
5. Add more broth or water until you have the desired amount of liquid in your pot.
6. Simmer for about 15 minutes and its ready to eat.

This turned out being a bit spicy (hot) for us so.  I think it was because I used El Guapo Cayenne chile pepper that a good friend gave me, instead of straight up chili powder (oops).  So then, I added 1 can tomato paste and three cans of water.  This really helped tone it down a bit. On the sugar I used 1/4 cup white and 1/4 cup brown. Everyone really liked this soup and it disappeared really fast.
This is good comfort food for whatever ails you. . . a new favorite for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment