background

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Beef with Snow Peas


This was so delicious . . . no leftovers here.  Even though it made a nice big batch it disappeared in one sitting.  It was a nice change (since I cook with chicken all the time)
 and was enjoyed by all, including me.

What you need:

1-1/2 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat and sliced very thin against the grain
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce(THIS IS IMPORTANT-IT WILL BE TOO SALTY IF YOU USE REGULAR)
3 tablespoons sherry Or cooking sherry
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
aprox 12 ounces fresh snow peas, with ends trimmed
6 whole scallions or green onion, cut into half-inch pieces on the diagonal
 salt as needed (use sparingly)
3 tablespoons olive oil
 crushed red pepper, for sprinkling
 rice of your choice, cooked according to package(I used brown rice)

What to do:

1. Get the rice cooking so that its ready when the beef and snow peas are.  I used brown rice in my Aroma rice cooker.  I love this rice cooker because it makes perfect rice every time.
2. Trim the steak of fat and slice against the grain into very thin strips.
3. Slice scallions or green onions (I used green onions) and set aside.
4.  Wash and trim ends of snow peas and set a side.



5. Combine soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger.


 

6. Pour half of the soy sauce mixture on to beef and gently toss, being sure to coat well.
7. Heat olive oil til very hot, add snow peas and cook for about one minute until color changes
 to more vibrant green.  The snow peas will be crunchy and delicious. 
 Now set aside on a clean plate while you cook the meat.
8. Allow pan to get very hot again, with tongs place half the meat in pan 
and spread out to single layer.
Do not stir meat, just leave to brown on that side - you want the meat to get as brown as possible in as short amount of time as possible.   Add half of the scallions or green onions.
Turn meat to cook on other side (this should take less than a minute).
9. Remove meat and place on a platter.  Repeat meat cooking process with the other half of the meat and remember to add other half of scallions or green onions.
10. When the meat is cooked combine it all into your pan and add the remaining soy sauce mixture and snow peas.  Cook for about 30 seconds on high heat then remove from heat.  The sauce will thicken as it cools.


Now it's ready to enjoy and I promise you will.  
Serve immediately over a bed of warm rice. You'll love this!
So I'm gonna confess a couple of things right up front.  First, I used straight soy sauce(not the low sodium) because that's what I had.  This made it pretty salty . . . too salty for most of the five people who enjoyed this meal together.  Although, it still got completely scarfed up. 
 I think it would be much better using the low sodium soy sauce, allowing each person to salt the dish to their taste. Two out of the five thought it had the right amount of salt
 and the other three thought it was too salty. 

 Second, when I cooked the meat, I had the flame up way to high and was cooking the meat in a pan that was too small for what I was cooking.  The flames from the burner climbed over the edge of the pan and a grease fire immediately started in my pan.  YIKES!  Watch out for those grease fires and remember NEVER to try and put out a grease fire with water.  It was fast and furious.  The flames went to being a couple of feet high instantly and scared me half to death!  My daughters boyfriend rushed over and turned the flame off and the fire quickly disappeared.  Thanks to his quick thinking and response, we were able to sit down and enjoy the meal together.  So be sure to use the right size pan for what your cooking. 

I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites thepioneerwoman.com and suggest you check it out. Ree Drummond's site is loaded with great pictures, recipes and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment