background

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken


What you need:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or 12 boneless, skinless chicken tenders
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup water
1 and 1/2 lemons squeezed for lemon juice (should equal almost 1/4 cup lemon juice)
2 garlic cloves minced (I used minced garlic from a jar, 2 tablespoons)
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
2 tsp. fresh parsley, minced

What to do:
1. Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Combine oregano, seasoned salt, and pepper.  Rub over chicken.
3. Brown chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, for aprox. 2 minutes on each side.
4. Place chicken in the slow cooker.
5. Combine water, lemon juice, garlic, and chicken bouillon in skillet.  
Bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits.  Pour over chicken in the slow cooker
6. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours.
7. Baste chicken occasionally during 4 hour cooking time.
8. Remove lid and cook 15-30 minutes longer, allowing juices to thicken slightly.
9. Serve chicken and juices over rice.

Here I am with another chicken recipe . . . what can I say, we like chicken.
 I've cooked this a couple of times and my kids say it's their new favorite.
I found it in a cookbook called Fix It and  Forget It Lightly
 by Phyllis Pellman Good.  This book is packed with great recipes
 that I'll be sharing in the future. This chicken was flavorful and easy to put together. The first time I made it with the boneless, skinless chicken tenders and the second time I did it with the boneless, skinless chicken breast halves.  We decided it's better with the chicken tenders.  Probably because the small pieces cook thoroughly.  It was moist and flavorful with the tenders. With the chicken breast halves it was tasty but quite a bit drier.  I think your going to like this one.
 I will definitely be making this again.  


1 comment:

  1. Going to give this one a try today at the fire station. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete