background

Friday, November 8, 2013

"Best" Kale Sausage Soup


What you need:
1 pound Italian sausage
1 diced sweet onion
1 red bell pepper diced
1 cup celery diced
1 cup sliced carrot
1 bunch kale chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
32 ounces chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with sweet onions
1 can white beans drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

What to do:
1. In large soup pan brown Italian sausage.
2. Add diced onion,  red bell pepper,carrot and celery and saute for a few minutes, stirring continually.
3. Cook until onion is tender, now add garlic and chopped kale.
4.  Reduce heat to low, continue to cook and stir until kale is tender.
This should only take a couple of minutes.
5. Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, white beans and salt & pepper to taste.
6.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.

This soup is amazing. . . YUM! I'ts delicious, healthy, colorful, light and easy to make.I think this will have to be added to the "favorites" category. We've made it twice in the last three weeks and doubled the recipes both times. It's great as a leftover and stores easily. It has plenty of great flavor from the sausage.If you want to kick it up a few notches you could use hot or spicy sausage. I've used mild both times and it was great. Next time I make it and double the recipe I might do half spicy and half mild. If you try this please let me know how it works out and what you thought of it. 

I hope you enjoy this as much as my family has. It's perfect for the cold nights we've had lately.
 It's hard to beat a good bowl of soup! One more great thing about this soup is it's PRETTY and fun to share with a crowd. Great for the holiday season and feeding a group.  I got the original recipe from my healthy food eating friend Janette's website sanerecipebox.com check it out for more good recipes.  ENJOY!

I need to make a statement of confession.  Before making this soup I had it in my head that kale wouldn't taste good.  I have no reasonable explanation for this, just my silly self. Probably the thought that something so good for me had to taste bad . . . wrong.  It was delicious and healthy too! Great combination. I have a feeling you'll be seeing a few more recipes that have kale in them as well(but only the one's that taste good).




No comments:

Post a Comment