background

Monday, September 9, 2013

Baked Zucchini Chips

This is an awesome way to use some of that zucchini in your garden. 
 If you don't have a garden this year like me, you can pick up some zucchini
 at the local produce stands or farmers market. 
I used the zucchini that I had on hand and they were actually really small. 
The chips turned out delicious, but next time I'd like to use a medium sized zucchini like it
 suggested in one of the original recipes I found for these. 

 
What you need:
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced zucchini (1/4 inch or thinner)
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan (or Italian blend finely shredded cheese)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons milk (you can use any kind, I used 1%)
Cooking spray
 
What to do:
1. Combine bread crumbs, grated parmesan, garlic powder, seasoned salt and black pepper.
 
For the bread crumbs I toasted some really good wheat bread I had from a local bakery we like.
I let it sit out for a while (at least an hour) when it is all dried out you can just crush it with a rolling pin and have your own delicious bread crumbs. To get the bread crumbs,
I place the toast inside a Ziploc baggie, then zip it shut and roll with rolling pin. 
This helps prevent having a crumby mess all over
 your kitchen counter. If you don't want to do this you can buy a container of bread crumbs
 in the baking section at the grocery store.
 
2. Place zucchini slices in bowl and drizzle lightly with some olive oil, then gently toss.
I tried coating with crumbs and they didn't stick well so added the milk and gently tossed.
This made all the difference and made the crumb mixture stick to the zucchini.
 
3. Place zucchini slices coated in crumb mixture onto a baking sheet
 that has been covered with cooking spray.
4.  Bake at 425 degrees for aprox. 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and crisp.
 
Another option that I haven't tried yet is to bake them on a wire rack that can sit on your cookie sheet.
The wire rack needs to be coated with cooking spray. 
This should help the chips not to stick to the baking sheet & to have just the right amount of crunch. 
 
These were delicious and the more you ate the more you wanted to eat.
  They disappeared in a matter of minutes and everyone kept commenting on how good they were.
They have quite a kick in flavor with all the seasonings and are a zesty, fun treat.
This recipe is a combination of two I found; first, from health.com
 and second, from the food network.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment