background

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

BLT Chopped Salad

This is a really delicious salad, but then in my book almost anything with bacon is really delicious!  Sometimes I crave salads and I'm always looking for a new twist
 on throwing one together.  I found this one on Pinterest, it originated from howsweeteats.com
I've made a few small changes as I usually do when trying a new recipe.  I think that's what makes cooking fun, when you make a recipe your own by adding extra of what you like most
or experiment a little with the ingredients.  Don't be afraid to put your own touch on a recipe.
I loved this salad!!! It's packed with flavor and lots of my favorite things.
It's one we'll be eating again at my house. It was a lot like having a BLT without the bread.



What you need:
1 head butter lettuce chopped
About 2 cups spring mix salad greens
1 pint grape tomatoes cut in half (use half or all of the pint, whatever you desire)
1 1/2 cups sweet corn (I use thawed frozen corn)
2 avocados chopped
4 ounces feta cheese
1 green bell pepper diced
8 to 10 slices thick cut bacon, cooked well and diced

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lime, juiced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper

What to do:
1. Chop lettuce. I put the leaves on my cutting board and cut in various directions until it was my desired size. Do this with both the butter lettuce and spring mix greens.
2. Cut desired amount of tomato grapes in half.
3. Dice green bell pepper.
4. Cook and chop the bacon.  Be sure to drain the bacon of as much grease as possible.
 I place the cooked strips on paper towels and place another on top, 
patting until most of the grease is dried off.
5.  Dice avocado.
6. Combine the above ingredients in a large salad bowl and gently toss. 
Carefully add in corn and feta, reserving a little of both to sprinkle on top for garnish.
7. Now let's put the dressing together. Into a small bowl, add olive oil.
8. To the olive oil add lime juice of one lime. I cut the lime into quarters and then squeezed the juice into the olive oil. Now add pepper and garlic salt and stir.
9. Gradually add the dressing into the salad, tossing gently in the process.

This salad has a great combination of flavors! I loved the tangy light dressing and the sweet corn,
 as well as the salty bacon and crunchy fresh lettuce. 
 This has a flavor blast of contrasting flavors that is great.  
Next time I make this I might add some hard boiled eggs or thin shredded cheddar cheese.
With or without these extras this a really good meal! Hope you enjoy!

Be sure to eat this salad right away. It's not one you want to make ahead,
 it's best if eaten right away.


No comments:

Post a Comment