background

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Stacked Vegetable Enchiladas

This recipe is courtesy of a guest contributor . . . my sister in law Shellie.  
She's always doing nice things for other people.  
The other night my husband and I were on our way home from town after a long
 and busy day of work, errands and other commitments.  
I was talking to Shellie on the phone and 
she said we should stop by and eat dinner with them. 
It was late and I was grateful for the invite. Lucky us! 
 Not only is she good company, but she's a great cook! 
 I was so excited about this delicious recipe, 
I asked if I could take pictures and put this on my blog. Lucky you . . . here it is!
I love Mexican food and enchiladas are one of my favorites, 
so I was thrilled when I saw what  we were having.  This recipe came from the "Sunset Magazine".
(I'm not sure what issue) It's a vegetarian recipe and pretty to look at.

Here's what you need:
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 corn tortillas
1 medium onion diced
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup roasted or thawed frozen corn
1 cup red bell pepper diced
1 can (low sodium) black beans, drained
2 cups cooked short grain brown rice
1 can (8 ounce) enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded (low fat) pepper jack cheese
1 avocado thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped green onion
6 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped

What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In a bowl place diced sweet potatoes, toss in 1 tbsp olive oil,
then spread on cookie sheet.  Bake until tender and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Wrap tortillas in foil and bake for 10 minutes.
3.  In a large pan over a medium heat, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, add onion, chili powder, chipotle powder and cumin.  Cook until onion is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add corn, peppers and black beans and cook about 5 minutes.
5. Set aside half of the corn mixture.
6. Add potatoes, rice and enchilada sauce to remaining corn mixture and cook about 6 minutes.
7. Place six tortillas on a baking sheet and place, spread potato mixture and 1/2 cup of cheese
evenly between the six tortillas.
8. Place remaining six tortillas on top of potato mixture,
 top with remaining cheese and corn mixture.
          9. Bake 7 minutes at 300 degrees and then garnish with the
 avocado, cilantro and green onion.
Now you can just enjoy!  I think it will be worth the effort.  
I loved having the opportunity to enjoy this delicious meal and 
plan to make these myself one day soon.  When I do I'll let you know how it worked 
out for me.  I've never really cooked with sweet potatoes and want to give it a try.  
These had a mild and great Mexican flavor to them that I loved. 
 Let me know what you think if you make these . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment